On rare occasions when the shoulder joint is severely damaged due to arthritis, fracture etc., the damaged joint is replaced with artificial joints made up of metal and plastic .This procedure is similar to the joint replacement surgery done in knee and hip joints. Different types of artificial joints are available for treating different problems.
A shoulder is a ball-and-socket joint that connects your upper arm to your body. The bone in your upper arm is known as humerus. It has a round end, fitting into the curved structure on the outer portion of your shoulder blade.
When a patient suffers from severe arthritis, a condition where the cartilage lining has completely worn away. It is an excruciatingly painful bone-on-bone arthritis occurs. Motion is restricted and the pain can be tolerated with some medication that is administered via localized injections.
Surgery is recommended when all the nonsurgical treatments failed to adequately treat shoulder arthritis. You are at risk of severe arthritis and it might be a time to address your shoulder problem if you experience any of the following symptoms:
- Limited motion of the shoulder
- Swelling of the joint
- Pain with activities
- The feeling of grinding or catching in the joints
- The stiffness of the shoulder
- Tenderness around the joint
What is Shoulder Joint Replacement?
Total Shoulder Joint Replacement is the procedure in which your surgeon may replace bone and socket of the shoulder with metal and plastic implant in order to reduce pain and improve the shoulder movement. Shoulder Joint Replacement surgeon performs this shoulder surgery under general anaesthesia.
During this surgery, the surgeon replaces the ends of bones in a damaged shoulder joint with artificial surfaces lined with metal or plastic to create new joint surfaces. He may use cement to hold the shoulder joint component or other material which allows the new bone to grow into the joint surface for the time being to hold in place of cement.
Shoulder Joint Replacement surgeon normally replace the top of the upper arm bone with a long metal piece with a round head that represents a cup-shaped surface of your shoulder bone. It cradles when your upper arm bone is damaged. Your doctors will smooth it and then cap it with a metal or plastic piece.
Reverse Shoulder Replacement
Best Shoulder Joint Replacement surgeons in Hyderabad use new methods for quick recovery. This new method is known as a reverse total shoulder replacement which is usually recommended for the patients with severe painful arthritis in their shoulder. In this procedure, only the damaged portion of the bone is removed and smooths the ends and again attaches the rounded joint piece to the shoulder bone and use the cup-shaped piece for replacing the top of the upper arm bone.
What to Expect from the Procedure?
Right after surgery, you will receive an intravenous (IV) and antibiotics going through this for one or two days along with the medications that will prevent blood clots and relieve pain. However, following the surgery, you will not feel yourself for a few days due to the effects of anaesthesia.
You may be constipated and have an upset stomach or a feeling of groggy or tired. After the procedure, you will have a bandage on your shoulder and possibly a drain to collect prevent fluid build up in the joint area. A physical therapist work with you to perform gentle exercises on your shoulder on the day of shoulder replacement surgery or the day after. The sooner you work your shoulder, the better it will be.
Who is a candidate for Shoulder Joint Replacement Surgery?
Dr.Chandrasekhar is a Best Shoulder Joint Replacement surgeon in Hyderabad who addresses all your specific health issues and best equipped to advise you on whether you are a strong candidate for total shoulder replacement surgery.
You will be an ideal candidate for Shoulder Joint Replacement Surgery if you have:
- Long-term shoulder pain and stiffness persists with everyday activities
- Shoulder pain and stiffness that interferes with their sleep
- Suffering from severe degenerative arthritis, also known as “wear and tear” arthritis of the shoulder (osteoarthritis)
- Severe shoulder fracture
- Severely damaged tissues involving the shoulder joint
- Suffering avascular necrosis
- Former shoulder surgery failure
- A tumour in or around the shoulder
- Loss of motion or experiencing weakness in the shoulder
- Rheumatoid arthritis with destroyed shoulder cartilage
How Do You prepare for the Surgery?
Once you have spoken to your orthopaedic surgeon and full shoulder replacement is on your horizon, you need to consider several things before and after the surgery. Here are some of the ways through which you can make sure that you are back and better than ever within a year of shoulder joint replacement surgery.
Talk to your surgeon and ask all the questions you have because shoulder replacement is a real operation. Depending on your existing overall health status and pain medication you use, you will either have an inpatient or outpatient surgery.
Firstly evaluate all other less invasive options before jumping into surgery. Be prepared to take it easy after the operation as many things get affected by this decision.
- Rest your arm in a sling.
- Following the surgery, you have to limit your shoulder motion as much as possible.
- Keep the sling on except during dressing, bathing, brushing teeth, eating or completing another daily routine.
- Don’t remove the sling unnecessarily as it will hinder your healing.
- Visit your doctor for a postoperative check.
- Always keep your arm in the sling unless you are performing daily living activities.
- Start simple exercises at this point with assistance.
- Don’t continue using pain medications because the dependency on post-operative pain medications leads to serious health issues.
- Work on your range of motion.
- Regular exercises must be considered and start from a lying position.
- Avoid pushing yourself too hard.
- Work up to move your shoulder in natural ways without pain.
- Resume all your activities that exercise the joint naturally.
- Don’t lift heavy weights as it can lead to hearing and further injury during the healing process
- Strengthen muscles but without exertion.
Perform all activities that allow you to exercise your shoulder. But, never overdo it.
Why Dr.Chandrasekhar for Shoulder Replacement in Hyderabad?
- Patient-focused centre for faster diagnosis and treatment
- A wide variety of treatments for shoulder injuries; shoulder arthritis, rotator cuff, frozen shoulder and more
- Comprehensive and personalized treatment followed by a rehabilitation plan for patients.
- Forefront of technology and minimally invasive surgery
- Groundbreaking techniques with attention to patient safety and long-term mobility
- In Depth experience and research, advanced alternatives to minimize the need for invasive procedures, as well as prevent shoulder joint replacement.
- An individualized treatment plan tailored to specific patient
- Education about your condition
- Shorter wait times for effective care