Shoulder Tendonitis Exercises For Shoulder Pain Relief
Shoulder tendinitis is very painful, but you can overcome it. This condition is the result of overwork or repetitive exercise. This injury limits the range of motion and therefore affects the normal development of your daily life. The good news is that some warm-up, stretching, and strengthening exercises can help relieve pain.
In today’s article, we will tell you what tendinitis is, why it happens, and suggest some exercises you can do.
Keep reading and ask your doctor if you should do this.
What is shoulder tendonitis, and why does it happen?
The term tendinitis is a word formed by the suffix -itis, which means “inflammation.” Simply put, it is tendon inflammation. Shoulder tendinitis is an inflammation of the joint, from the biceps to the rotator cuff. The main factors contributing to this injury are:
- Age: Due to osteoarthritis, joint stiffness may be a predisposing factor in elderly patients.
- Intense sports activities: The effort and repetition of certain movements, and even the magnitude of these movements, can cause harm. For example, it is very common in baseball pitchers.
- Repetitive or heavy work: As work performed by bricklayers and blacksmiths.
- Other reasons: Sudden movement or poor blood flow to the tendon.
It is characterized by swelling or inflammation of the tendon. When this happens, simple shoulder strengthening exercises are one of the best treatments.
Shoulder tendonitis exercises for shoulder pain relief
Seated shoulder press
A seated shoulder press will help strengthen the muscle mass of the shoulders. However, it is best to use a machine press in this exercise because free weights and barbells will aggravate the injury.
- First, sit on the bench and grab the press with both hands. If you use free weights or lightweight barbells, make sure to place the barbell comfortably on your shoulders with your hands shoulder-width apart.
- While sitting, use your shoulder muscles to slowly lift the barbell.
- Finally, slowly lower the barbell to the starting position.
It would help if you had a pair of dumbbells for side lifts. This exercise is done standing up.
- First, hold a dumbbell in each hand. Please make sure they are light enough to avoid further damage to your shoulders.
- Inhale and place the dumbbell in front of you, with your palms facing each other.
- As you exhale, slowly raise your arms so that they extend from your body and slightly higher than your shoulders.
- Keep this position for a shot, and then slowly lower your arms back to the starting position.
This exercise will help you restore the movement of your shoulders.
- Hold the dumbbells in each hand, stand up straight and lift them to your shoulders.
- When they are in this position, slowly lift them and turn your palms to face forward. This will rotate the dumbbell 180 degrees.
- Slowly rotate the palm of your hand and lower the dumbbell to the starting position.
Doorway stretching exercise:
Doorway stretching exercise is an excellent exercise to treat shoulder tendonitis. Here is how to do it at home:
- Before exercise, you need to warm up your muscles to avoid injury. You can stand up straight and extend your arms outwards and inwards.
- Grasp the door’s sides lower than shoulder height and push the door forward until it stretches.
- Keep your back straight and be able to shift your weight to your toes.
- You should feel the front stretch.
- However, it should not be overstretched.
- First, you lie on the floor, bend your elbows about 90 degrees,
- Then place your forearms on your abdomen,
- Prepare a dumbbell while keeping your elbows against you, and then gradually raise the dumbbell to the ceiling.
- If you have any tension, avoid rotating your arms.
- Hold this position for a few seconds, then rotate it back to the starting position.
- Lower your arm and repeat the exercise.
- Before exercise, you should wear a resistance band.
- Lower one knee and raise the knee opposite the sore arm.
- The body and knees must be aligned.
- Place the other hand on the raised knee.
- Hold the resistance band.
- Stretch your arms and pull your elbows toward your body.
- Straighten your back and squeeze your shoulder blades.
- You can rotate your body with your arms or standstill. Keep your posture.
- Return to the starting position.
- Repeat 10 sets
- Stand up straight with your shoulders and feet apart.
- Bend your knees slightly, straighten your back, and bend forward at the waist.
- Hold your weight in each hand and extend your arms
- Now lift your arms away from your body, and squeeze your shoulder blades.
- Don’t lift your arms over your shoulders.
- Now return to the first position and repeat the exercise.
This is like a lawnmower. It is one of the most effective exercises for treating shoulder tendonitis.
- The steps are: stand up straight, separate your shoulders, separate your feet,
- Then place one end of the resistance band under your feet.
- Hold the other end of the resistance band with the other arm across your body.
- Now place the other hand on your hips and slightly bending.
- Place the strap parallel to the knee on the other side.
- Do it like a lawnmower. Continue to stretch and pull the elbows along the outer ribs of the body.
- Hold for a few seconds, relax, and squeeze your shoulder blades.
- Repeat the exercise.
Pendulum training will effectively strengthen your neck, arms and reduce shoulder tendinitis. The direction is:
- Stand up straight and put your good hands on the chair.
- With the other arm down, you should gently swing it back toward and circular motion.
- Repeat the exercise 5 times; you can do 2-3 exercises. Every day
Stretching the shoulders
Like other exercises to treat shoulder tendonitis, stretching the shoulders can help relieve pain and improve muscles. These are the steps of the exercise:
- You are in a standing position, stand up straight and raise your shoulders.
- Hold this position for 5 seconds, then squeeze your shoulder blades back.
- Hold for 5 seconds and reduce the blades. Hold for 5 seconds.
- A few more seconds, relax and repeat the exercise.
Door leaner is a simple and easy exercise. So here is the direction of how to do it:
- First, put your arms on the wall, and then put them above your head.
- Lean forward slowly, as if reaching in front of your shoulders.
- Hold for 15-20 seconds.
- Repeat the exercise. Make sure to do it lightly and stretch it slightly.
Before doing these exercises, meet a well-trained shoulder surgeon physical therapist. Shoulder tendinitis can be a painful injury that can make it difficult to use arms. If someone needs medical intervention due to a shoulder injury, meet Dr Chandra Shekar. B</b>.
At Hyderabad Shoulder Clinic, our doctors can provide services to individuals and families anywhere in India. Our friendly professionals can provide advanced medical care and treatment for shoulder tendonitis. We also perform surgical operations when necessary. Therefore, please call our team at 9959588389 immediately to make an appointment if you suffer from shoulder pain. We are happy to help you and your family meet all your medical needs.